The Revenant managed to claw its way to first place atop the box office this past weekend despite being hampered by the gigantic blizzard that walloped the east coast. The Revenant has now made $224 million worldwide. Meanwhile the previous box office king, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, is holding strong at second place while knocking Ride Along 2 into 3rd. TFA has now grossed over $880 million dollars domestically, and $1.946 billion dollars worldwide. It's currently still sitting in third place behind Avatar and Titanic.
The new releases didn't make much impact at the box office all finishing 4th to 6th place, but perhaps the blizzard was partly to blame (but also because they weren't very appealing). Dirty Grandpa, the raunchy comedy with Zac Efron and Robert De Niro did the best at 4th place with $11.11 million. The other two newcomers in the top ten were horror film The Boy (2016) and fantasy sci-fi film The 5th Wave which finished with $10.77 million and $10.32 million respectively. View the Top 10 below:
- The Revenant $16 million
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens $14 million
- Ride Along 2 $12.45 million
- Dirty Grandpa $11.11 million
- The Boy (2016) $10.77 million
- The 5th Wave $10.32 million
- 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi $9 million
- Daddy's Home $4.94 million
- Norm of the North $3.82 million
- The Big Short $3.17 million
For the full list and more visit boxofficemojo.com.