Tim Burton's Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children finished atop the box office with an estimated $28.87 million. Its opening competition was Marky Mark's Deepwater Horizon, which finished at #2 with an estimated $20.22 million. Both films will look to build upon their totals next weekend as the competition still looks rather thin.
The only other newcomer, Masterminds (2016), came in at #6 with a paltry $6.54 million. The screwball comedy will probably fall of the radar by next weekend. Disney's expansion of Queen of Katwe, failed to excite anyone and finished at #7 with a miserable $2.5 million. Meanwhile, Clint Eastwood and Tom Hanks's Sully, managed to hang around at #5 with an estimated $8.27 million. Sully has earned $152 million worldwide thus far. Next weekend sees the wide releases of The Birth of a Nation, The Girl on The Train, and Middle School: The Worst Years of My Life.
- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children $28.87 Million
- Deepwater Horizon $20.22 Million
- The Magnificent Seven (2016) $15.63 Million
- Storks $13.48 Million
- Sully $8.27 Million
- Masterminds (2016) $6.54 Million
- Queen of Katwe $2.5 Million
- Don't Breathe $2.38 Million
- Bridget Jones's Baby $2.34 Million
- Snowden $1.97 Million
For more information please visit BoxOfficeMojo.com.