Don't Breathe managed to strangle the competition and easily claimed the top of the box office with an estimated $26.41 million more than double its nearest competitor (Suicide Squad, $12.25 million). With a fantastic trailer and an original premise, Don't Breathe seems to have won over movies goers. Don't feel too bad for Suicide Squad; the D.C. anti-hero ensemble has grossed $636 million worldwide so far.
The only other new comer didn't fare nearly as well as Don't Breathe. Mechanic: Resurrection managed to earn an estimated $7.46 million good enough for the #5 spot. In addition to Don't Breathe, Mechanic: Resurrection was beaten by Suicide Squad, Kubo and the Two Strings, and Sausage Party, each of which has already been in wide release for at least two weekends.
- Don't Breathe $26.41 Million
- Suicide Squad $12.25 Million
- Kubo and the Two Strings $7.84 Million
- Sausage Party $7.53 Million
- Mechanic: Resurrection $7.46 Million
- Pete's Dragon (2016) $7.44 Million
- War Dogs $7.02 Million
- Bad Moms $5.57 Million
- Jason Bourne $5.14 Million
- Ben-Hur (2016) $4.56 Million
For more information please visit Boxofficemojo.com.